Get Help With Housing

Get Help With Housing

If you need protection from eviction:

  • Apply for rental assistance here. (See "If you need help paying for rent" and "Other resources" below for more details on the process.) You cannot be evicted while you wait for a decision on your rental assistance application.

  • If your landlord is trying to evict you, stay in your apartment, click here for free legal help, and click here for a guide on additional steps to take. Do not move out: only a court can evict you. A "notice to quit" from your landlord does not require you to leave, it just starts a court case.

If you need help paying your rent:

  • Check eligibility & apply for RAFT rent assistance here

  • If you are experiencing difficulty with the application for RAFT, call 2-1-1 any day, any time.

If you need help paying your mortgage:

  • Visit massmortgagehelp.org here to apply for help through the Mass. Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)

  • For further information, call the HAF Call Center at (833) 270-2953, Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

If you need to enter a family homeless shelter:

  • Apply for shelter by calling (866) 584-0653 - call every day starting at 8am until you get a response.

  • Eligibility: families w/ child(ren) under 21 OR pregnant, income no higher than 115% of the Federal Poverty Level.

  • When you apply for shelter, ask about HomeBASE (an alternative to shelter, see next section).

  • For advocacy tips on accessing shelter or HomeBASE benefits, click here.

If you are in a family shelter, and want your own apartment:

  • HomeBASE is an alternative to shelter that provides up to $10,000 in rental assistance. This can be used to avoid entering shelter, or to leave a shelter.

  • Apply for HomeBASE through your shelter.

If you need help paying utility bills:

  • Click here to apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Eligibility requirements here.

  • You can also get help paying your utilities arrears through the RAFT rental payment assistance program (whether or not you are looking for help paying rent) - click here to apply.

  • Click here for additional information on help paying utility bills.

Other resources:

  • Check here for a list of towns with rental assistance programs. Click Tab 2 at the bottom & search for "Massachusetts"

  • Boston residents: click here for rental assistance, and here for additional emergency housing programs.

  • Click here for free legal help if your landlord is trying to evict you, and click here for other legal assistance.

  • Tenants rights resources for public housing and for landlord-owned buildings.

  • Other non-housing resources can be found on One Family's website or via Mass 211 (call 2-1-1).