Advocacy Alert from the National Alliance to End Homelessness
The Senate HUD Appropriations Committee is likely to release and vote on its fiscal year (FY) 2013 appropriations bill, including funding for HUD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants, VERY soon – maybe NEXT WEEK!
As a result, the next week or so is CRITICAL for impacting how much funding the bill includes for HUD’s McKinney-Vento programs! We need YOUR help calling your senators THIS WEEK to urge them to work with leaders of the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee to include the President’s requested funding level of $2.231 billion for McKinney-Vento in their bill.
Here’s How You Can Help:
- Call your senators’ Washington, DC offices RIGHT AWAY!!Ask to speak to the person who handles housing issues.
- NOTE: It’s PARTICULARLY important to call your senators if they sit on the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee (see below).
- Explain the importance of HUD’s McKinney-Vento programs to your community, and ask them to work with their colleagues to provide the President’s requested funding level in the FY 2013 HUD Appropriations Act. Use the sample talking points as a guide.
- Let us (The Alliance) know which office(s) you contacted!
This legislation released by the Senate will be the starting point and basis for the Senate’s position throughout the remainder of the year as they work with the House to pass a final HUD funding bill. So, it’s VERY important that it contains a strong funding level for HUD’s McKinney-Vento programs!
We don’t yet know when the House will release its version of the legislation, but we will make sure to keep you posted once we find out.
Please let us know if you have any questions, or if we can be helpful in any way. Thanks in advance for your help with this critical effort!
Senators on the HUD Appropriations Committee include:
- AL – Richard Shelby
- AR – Mark Pryor
- CA – Dianne Feinstein
- IA – Tom Harkin
- IL – Richard Durbin AND Mark Kirk
- IN – Dan Coats
- KS – Jerry Moran
- MD – Barbara Mikulski
- ME – Susan Collins (Top Republican)
- MO – Roy Blunt
- NJ – Frank Lautenberg
- SD – Tim Johnson
- TN – Lamar Alexander
- TX – Kay Bailey Hutchison
- VT – Patrick Leahy
- WA – Patty Murray (Chair)
- WI – Herb Kohl AND Ron Johnson
Amanda (Krusemark) Benton
Director of Policy Outreach
National Alliance to End Homelessness